Vote early, vote often ….
Sorry, some Chicago humor.
Let’s take a look, see if we know any names.
Best Science Fiction Novel
YES! Richard got nominated! Richard got nominated! YES.
Anyway, I’m a fan of Paolinelli’s work. I’m happy to claim him as a Catholic. If you haven’t read his work yet, do so.
Hmm… On the other hand, Brian Niemeier, who is a good author, and a Catholic Catholic, says he’ll give his award to L Jagi Lamplighter, and that’s another complication, to be discussed below.
Hmm, who else is there? Let’s see. I know Scalzi; wouldn’t vote for him on a bet. And Cixin Liu looks familiar. And that’s … it. Huh. Where’s Zhan’s Thrawn? Hmm. I guess it came out too late for most fans to read and vote for it — otherwise, Zahn didn’t want it.
I suppose this year it’s between Brian and Richard.
Best Fantasy Novel
Okay. I know who Vox Day is.
Okay. I liked both Sinners and Grunge … crap. Larry said he didn’t want an award. But hey, let’s see if Ringo wants one.
I don’t even know everyone else here. It’s between Vox and Ringo, really. And even Vox Day doubts his odds here, so my money is on Ringo to win. If Ringo isn’t back with the church yet, Grunge is actually the one I looked at and said, “Come home to Rome, John.”
Best Young Adult / Middle Grade Novel
Yup, it’s a Wright double header! Jagi is Mrs John C Wright. And my goal this year was to see if they could have a his and hers set of Dragons… Except Jagi has mentioned she wants John to win for Swan Knight’s Son…But I think she deserves an award for Rachel Griffin…
Yes, Brian will literally give his award to Jagi. But I want Richard to win that one….
So many choices…
My bet? JCW will win. Vox is throwing his people behind Mr. Wright, and so is Jagi. So is Happy Frogs.
Has Jagi told Dragon Con she’d like to withdraw her nomination?
Best Military Science Fiction
or Fantasy Novel
Starship Liberator is a Vox Day pick, and he has a small army, so I’m not surprised.
Wait, they misspelled Jon’s name in the list? Oy. It should be del Arroz.
Mark Wandrey and John Holmes are good people. Charles Gannon is friendly as all heck, and smart as a whip.
I think I’m going to vote for Jon. I wanted John Ringo’s Monster Hunter spin off to have been in this category. So, who knows who’ll actually win. Especially since Gannon has the Baen vote, but I know that Wandrey, Holmes, and Jon will all campaign.
Boy, am I glad I’m not going to be in this middle of this shootout.
Best Alternate History Novel
Oh gee. Flint and Turtledove have gotten nominations. Who ever could have imagined…
I did. Several times. That was the easy part.
Kai Wai Cheah was a Vox pick, so no surprise there. I’m actually surprised that more of his picks weren’t on the list.
LOU ANTONELLI GOT NOMINATED!!!!! LOU GOT NOMINATED!!!!!! YES!
Yes, Lou’s cool. His book was awesome. Read it. That’s my vote.
My bet? Turtledove and Flint will split the vote, leaving it as a fight between Lou and Vox’s pick. And Happy Frogs is backing Lou.
Best Apocalyptic Novel
Dan Humphreys got in. Good for him. He’s good people. I don’t know Akkad. I don’t know Heinz. I dislike Jemisin’s work as a rule. I know that Doctorow exists. Oh, look, John Holmes again! Good for him.
. By me. Huh. Had you asked me to place money one what I’d be nominated for, this … would not be it.
On the one hand, we’re up against Doctorow, so Allan and I should be screwed. Then again, I don’t know if Doctorow will campaign. So who knows? Common sense says Doctorow, but if I had any, I’d be a plumber. It’s steady work.
Best Horror Novel
- The Hidden People by Alison Littlewood
- A God in the Shed by J-F Dubeau
- Blood of Invidia by Tom Tinney and Morgen Batten
- Donn’s Hill by Caryn Larrinaga
- Nothing Left to Lose by Dan Wells
- The Bleak December by Kevin G. Summers
- The Changeling by Victor LaValle
- Live and Let Bite by Declan Finn
Littlewood is a Vox pick. No surprise there, even though I don’t know her. Tom Tinney’s been a guest on the podcast a few times. Dubeau? Larrinaga? Summers, LaValle…. Yikes. Do I know these people? Answer, of course not, I don’t actually read horror.
Technically, I don’t even write horror, I write paranormal romance or Urban Fantasy, depending on who you ask. But the Dragons don’t have this pick.
Tom is up against Dan Wells. Well, that’ll suck. I’ve heard of Wells, he’s supposed to be Catholic Stephen King, only he writes well. Tom’s win will depend on whether or not
…. Live and Let Bite.
I got two nominations? Huh. To my rabid fan base, thank you. Yes. Really. Thank you. I’m … wow. Well. That’s … wow.
Best Comic Book
- Monstress by Marjorie Liu, Sana Takeda
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Eleven by Christos Gage, Rebekah Isaacs
- Motor Girl by Terry Moore
- Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa
- Saga by Brian K Vaughan, Fiona Staples
- Wynonna Earp Legends by Beau Smith, Tim Rozon, Melanie Scrofano, Chris Evenhuis
- The Dresden Files: Dog Men by Jim Butcher, Mark Powers, Diego Galindo
Okay. I know of Liu, I’ve heard she’s good. I know of Buffy, obviously. And I’ve heard of Brian K Vaughn….
Nevermind. Jim Butcher is nominated. We know who’s winning.
Best Graphic Novel
- Clive Barker Nightbreed #3 by Marc Andreyko, Clive Barker, Emmanuel Xerx Javier
- Girl Genius: the Second Journey of Agatha Heterodyne, Book 2: The City of Lightning by Phil and Kaja Foglio
- Jim Butcher’s The Dresden Files: Wild Card by Jim Butcher, Carlos Gomez
- Love is Love by Marc Andreyko, Sarah Gaydos, James S. Rich
- March Book 3 by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin
- My Favorite Thing is Monsters by Emil Ferris
- Stuck in My Head by J.R. Mounts
Hey, I like Girl Genius. It’s a fun series and … Butcher is here, too. I guess it depends on which ones he wants. Assuming he’s not going to give all the comic awards away to his artists.
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy TV Series
- Doctor Who, BBC
- Lucifer, Fox
- Marvel’s Agents of Shield, ABC
- Stan Lee’s Lucky Man, Sky1
- Stranger Things, Netflix
- The Expanse, Syfy
- Westworld, HBO
- Wynonna Earp, Syfy
I’m generally apathetic about these picks.
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Movie
- Arrival directed by Denis Villeneuve
- Doctor Strange directed by Scott Derrickson
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 directed by James Gunn
- Logan directed by James Mangold
- Passengers directed by Morten Tyldum
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story directed by Gareth Edwards
- Wonder Woman directed by Patty Jenkins
My pick was Doctor Strange: Because Cumbersmaug, Sorcerer Supreme. Guardians isn’t a surprise. Or Wonder Woman. Several people I know like Passengers. Logan was a Vox pick….
No bet on who wins this one.
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy PC / Console Game
- Dishonored 2 by Arkane Studios
- Final Fantasy XV by Square Enix
- Mass Effect: Andromeda by Bioware
- NieR: Automata by PlatinumGames
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild by Nintendo
- Titanfall 2 by Respawn Entertainment
Of these picks, Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Zelda, FF15 are not surprises. I guessed at least two would be there. But no Warhammer? Even Vox picked that one out.
My bet is between those three. I wouldn’t vote Bioware if you paid me.
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Mobile Game
- Con Man: The Game by Monkey Strength Productions
- Fire Emblem Heroes by Nintendo
- Monument Valley 2 by Ustwogames
- Pokemon GO by Niantic
- Sky Dancer by Pine Entertainment
- Super Mario Run by Nintendo
Pokemon GO. No bet. We’re done. It was so addictive and so popular last year, it’s not even funny.
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Board Game
- Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow’s Walk by Avalon Hill
- Gloomhaven by Cephalofair Games
- Hero Realms by White Wizard Games
- Mansions of Madness (Second Edition) by Fantasy Flight Games
- Scythe by Stonemaier Games
- Terraforming Mars by Stronghold Games
Vox is behind Gloomhaven. So … bet on that? I don’t know. I haven’t played any. I may not vote for them.
Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Miniatures / Collectible Card / Role-Playing Game
- A Shadow Across the Galaxy X-Wing Wave X by Fantasy Flight Games
- Bloodborne: The Card Game by CMON Limited
- Dark Souls: The Board Game by Steamforged Games
- Magic the Gathering: Eldritch Moon by Wizards of the Coast
- Pulp Cthulhu by Chaosium
- Star Wars: Destiny by Fantasy Flight Games
Again, not my scene.
Once again, I’d like to thank all of you folks in the fan base for chipping in in the first place, and coming out to vote. If you look at my two nominations with thoughts of “If I vote for him twice, will that be a problem?” No. If I get both wins, I’ll give one to my co-author on UnSub. Assuming I get either.
If you don’t want to try reading every single book on the list, you can vote below.
Remember, you may register to receive a ballot until Sunday, August 28th at 11:59PM. You must be submit your ballot by Tuesday, August 29th, 11:59 EDT
But if you want to vote NOW, vote here.